While everyone is cutting off all the things from 2022 that no longer serve them, both literally and figuratively, let’s not throw out the entire year.
Let’s hold on tight to the good stuff. All the things that make us better and continue to lighten the load and make life just that much sweeter.
Here are five things to consider keeping in the new year:
- Going to therapy. Therapy is always a good idea, regardless of the time of year. You can go when you are feeling your very best or when you’re feeling not so great. It’s a way to become more self-aware and allow dedicated time to face issues, thoughts and emotions head-on with a trusted expert who is free of judgment and has your best interest. Think of therapy as your best friend and life advisor all in one person. Let’s keep investing in our mental health.
- Asking for help. The days of being a strong independent Black woman who is doing everything for herself (and everyone else) with little to no help are long gone. Life can be challenging but you don’t have to do it alone. Lighten your load. Tap into the people and resources you need for additional support. Delegate and outsource tasks whenever possible.
- Celebrating all wins. Big or small. Celebrate the process. Celebrate the journey. Don’t wait until you get to the finish line.
- Saying “No” without explanation. “No!” is a complete sentence. Say no unapologetically. If the vibe is off, say no. If you don’t want to do it, say no. If you don’t feel like it, say no. Indulge in the things that fill you up, bring you joy and matter the most to you.
“The holy grail is when you learn to get comfortable with a definitive NO… It’s not followed by anxiety or regret. It’s freeing and calming when you say NO and mean it and can move on with your day with that task, ask or commitment behind you.” - Denise Gilmore-McPherson, BetternessBox Cofounder
- Being kind to ourselves. They say you are your worst critic. In the new year, be your biggest cheerleader. Keep big energy and don’t play about yourself! Speak love and light into yourself. And if you need help affirming who you are, this season’s WE ARE RESTORED BetternessBox has small affirmation cards that you can keep on hand.
While some things may be disposable, keep the things that add value in the new year.
Afterall, it’s for the betterness of you.